PLEASE NOTE: We do not pack, store or transport, precious jewellery and money and we do not transport firearms or hazardous goods.
Our Thorough Moving Checklist
Don't Leave Packing to the Last Minute
What insurance do we have? We are covered by:
Marine Transit Insurance, this means that if our trucks are involved in an accident or are stolen with your goods inside, then your goods are covered under our insurance.
Public Liability Insurance, which covers any damage the removalist causes to your house when loading and unloading.
Work Cover Insurance, which covers our workers if they are injured in the course of their work.
- Please note: In the interest of the safety of our staff, we do not put furniture items over balconies above ground floor level.
- Please note that we do not transport goods that are flammable, such as LPG cylinder’s, fuel tanks, aerosol cans, flammable liquids ect. These items are not suitable to be moved or stored. We also do not transport firearms of any nature, or large sums of cash.
- Do I need insurance? Silver Service Removals treats your property as if it is our own. Our goal is to relocate your furniture safely and securely, but even with the most experienced removalists, accidents can happen. It is recommended you consider taking out Home Removal Insurance. If it can be proved that the removalist was negligent in causing the damage, you may be able to request that they repair the damage. However, if there is damage and there was no negligence displayed, the repair will need to be paid for by insurance. If you are not insured, you will have no recourse to any compensation.
- How and when do I pay? For country or interstate removals, a deposit is required upon securing your relocation for the dates you require, and payment is required on uplift. For local moves, payment can be made on the day your goods are delivered. We have EFTPOS machines in our trucks to accept payment by EFTPOS or you can pay by cash if you prefer.
- Packing. Can I pack my own boxes? You can pack your own goods, or you can ask us for a quote for a packing service. If you pack your own boxes and there are any breakages in those boxes, the removalist will take no responsibility.
- Packing tips: We recommend you use removalist-quality cartons. Make sure your cartons are packed tightly and then seal the cartons securely with 5cm packing tape, ensuring that both the base and top of the carton is securely sealed. We don’t recommend using newspaper to wrap your goods. The ink can be messy when unpacking. We recommend using butcher paper for non-fragile goods and bubble wrap for your fragile goods.
- Prepare an “’essentials pack” with items you will need when you arrive at your new home: electric kettle, coffee mugs, tea/coffee, teaspoon, knife, fork, paper plates, can opener, corkscrew, screwdriver, hammer, torch, toilet paper, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, towel, change of clothes, and your young children’s favourite toys.
- Place heavy items, such as books, in small cartons so they aren’t too heavy to handle. Wrap items individually, placing heavy items on the bottom and lightest item on the top. Mark each box with rooms and content description.
- We recommend that you put all your remotes and associated cords in a clearly marked box.
- If placing goods in storage, make sure your personal documents are packed together and the box is clearly marked.
- We recommend that prior to moving to your new address, check that larger furniture pieces will fit into your new home.
- We are happy to dismantle and reassemble conventional beds and furniture items, but items such as waterbeds and furniture built in that cannot fit through doorways or stairwells must be prepared for transit prior to removal day.
- Discard any open or unsealed food or liquids. This will prevent spoilage and vermin and insects intruding your goods whilst in storage and decrease leakage and consequent damage to other goods whist in our vehicles.
- Empty refrigerators and freezers prior to removal. We suggest that you turn off/defrost at least 24 hours prior to removal. Thoroughly clean and dry inside fridges, freezers, and dishwashers. Where practical, we suggest that freezers be left to stand 2-4 hours after delivery before being switched on to minimise the risk of damage to the compressor.
- With white-goods, plasma televisions, hi-fi equipment, and printers, we recommend that you refer to the manufacturer’s specifications for guidance in the preparation these items for transport.
- Wash out garbage bins and wheels barrows and drain garden hoses.
- Remove hooks from fishing lines.
- Drain all fuel out of your lawn keeping equipment.
- Clean BBQs and ensure grease traps are emptied and clean and that gas bottles are empty.
- Dismantle swing sets, trampolines, ect, and ensure you put the nuts and bolts in a safe place.
- Clean and spray dog kennels, empty and clean fish tanks, bird cages ect.
- Have an advanced plan for placement of your furniture in your new home and someone at your new home to direct the removalists where you would like the placement of your goods.
- Don’t polish furniture the week of your relocation. It makes furniture slippery and difficult to handle.
- We recommend that you don’t water your pot plants for 7 days prior to your local removal. If moving interstate, we recommend you consider giving your plants away to family or friends. If you require your plants to be transported interstate, we suggest you consider varying quarantine regulations between states and obtain relevant approval from the appropriate department.
Offering Competitive Pricing for Your Removal
You might think that all movers charge exorbitant pricing. This is not true. Silver Service Removals offers competitive pricing so your budget won’t be stretched thin. Fill out the form below for a competitive quote.
Talk to Us?
You have questions? Contact us today, we’re here to help.